Little St. Simons Island Crab Cakes
- 1 pound lump crab meat ("special" if available)
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped rinsed leek
- 1/4 cup finely-diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely-diced yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon leaves
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Sauté leeks and peppers until tender over medium heat. Add scallions and tarragon and remove from heat.
Combine with remaining ingredients down to bread crumbs. Form into 1-inch thick cakes and coat with breadcrumbs. Chill until ready to cook, then sauté crab cakes in non-stick pan with a minimal amount of olive oil, about 3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
Serve over pasta, rice, or couscous, or on top of a mixed green salad, with lemon wedges and tartar sauce, roasted red pepper sauce, or Key lime butter sauce.
This recipe yields 4 servings.