TOMATOES – GRANDMA’S TOMATO PUDDING
- 15 MEDIUM TOMS, PEELED AND QUARTERED
- 1 CUP PACKED DARK BROWN SUGAR
- 1 6-0Z CAN TOMATO PASTE
- 1 TSP SALT
- 6 WHITE BREAD SLICES, CUT INTO 1 INCH CUBES
- 1 CUP BUTTER, MELTED
ABOUT 1 1/2 HOURS BEFORE SERVING:
1. In 3 qt saucepan over medium heat, heat toms to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until toms are soft, about 10 minutes. Uncover saucepan and cook 15 mins longer, until toms are slightly thickened, stirring often. Stir in brown sugar, tomato paste and salt.
2. preheat oven to 375. Arrange bread cubes in 3-qt casserole. Pour melted butter over bread cubes; top with tomato mixture. Bake 35-40 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve hot. Makes 10 side dishes.