Country Grits And Sausage Casserole
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits uncooked
- 3 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds mild bulk sausage cooked, crumbled, and drained
- Tomato wedges for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Bring water to a boil, stir in grits. Return to boil; reduce heat to low, cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cheese, stirring until melted.
Combine eggs, milk, thyme and garlic powder; stir well. Gradually stir about 1/4 hot grits mixture into egg mixture, add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in sausage.
Pour into a 11- by 7- by 1 1/2-inch baking pan sprayed with Pam. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until set. Garnish with tomato wedges and fresh parsley.
This recipe yields 6 servings.