Poutine with Dark Sausage Gravy
Oh, yea. Poutine. This is a twist on traditional poutine with the dark sausage gravy. But, it does have the traditional cheese curds. Yum.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh pork sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound frozen steak fries
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Cheese curds, for serving
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Make the gravy: Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and the sausage, breaking up the sausage with a spoon or fork, until fully cooked. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onions and the butter to the skillet. Saute until the onions are dark brown and caramelized. Add the flour, a little at a time, and cook, stirring constantly, to make a dark roux, 6 to 10 minutes. Don't let it burn, but it should be nice and dark.
Slowly add the milk and beef stock, stirring vigorously to work it all together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the cooked sausage to the gravy; stir well. Simmer for a minute or two, until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
For the poutine: Fry the steak fries in vegetable oil until crispy.
Serve the fries covered in sausage gravy and cheese curds. Pop in the oven to melt the cheese curds, if necessary.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Rhubarb... 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Banana Bread from Cake Mix 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Beef Teppanyaki 4/5 (27 Votes)
- Eggplant Parmesan with Italian... 4.1/5 (36 Votes)
Review this recipe