- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 2 cups chopped peeled ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound raw ham cut 1/2" dice
- 2 cups rice
- 1 pound medium-sized shrimp shelled, deveined
- Chopped fresh parsley
Saute onion and garlic in oil in a large skillet for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, tomatoes, cayenne, thyme, cloves, salt, pepper, and water. Bring to a boil and add ham and rice. Cover. Lower heat to simmer and cook for twenty minutes.
Place shrimp on top, cover, and cook another 10 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.