Guilt-Free German Chocolate Cake
Cook's Country Magazine featured a Reduced-Fat German Chocolate Cake. I decided to give this recipe a try because I was impressed with the calorie and fat reduction:
Traditional: This version:
Calories: 740 Calories: 340
Fat: 45g Fat: 13g
Saturated Saturated Fat: 23g Fat: 13g
I was pleased that the cake turned out very moist! Overall the cake was very easy to make, as was the frosting. I'd make this recipe again! You can see how I made this cake, along with some baking tips at: http://foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/guilt-free-german-chocolate-cake-that.html
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 3 ounces milk chocolate , chopped
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs , room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream , room temperature
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pecans , toasted (see note) and chopped fine
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut , toasted (see note)
- NOTE: Avoid fat-free sour cream, which will make the cake gummy. Toast the coconut and nuts in a 325-degree oven, shaking the pan often, for about 15 minutes.
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
MAKE BATTER Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
Whisk chocolate, cocoa, and boiling water in bowl until smooth; let cool.
Combine flour and baking soda in separate bowl. With electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat butter, sugars, and salt until combined. Increase speed to medium and beat until mixture -lightens in color and sticks to sides of bowl, about 1 minute.
Scrape down bowl, then add eggs, 1 at a time, and mix until well combined, about 45 seconds.
Reduce speed to low and add chocolate mixture and vanilla until incorporated. Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with 2 additions of sour cream, and mix until just combined.
BAKE CAKE Divide batter into prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes.
Cool cakes in pans 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack and cool completely, at least 1 hour. (Cooled cakes can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature for 2 days.)
MAKE FROSTING Whisk evaporated milk, cornstarch, butter, brown sugar, and salt in saucepan over medium-high heat until bubbling, about 3 minutes.
Continue to cook until mixture is thickened, about 1 minute.
Off heat, stir in vanilla and all but 1 tablespoon each of pecans and coconut. Cool to room temperature.
ASSEMBLE CAKE Place 1 cake round on serving platter. Spread with half of frosting, then top with second cake. Spread remaining frosting over top of cake. Sprinkle with remaining pecans and coconut. Serve.
You'll also love
- Christmas Party Cranberry Dip 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Braided Cherry Danish 3.9/5 (25 Votes)
- Cranberry Almond Pound Cake 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Cream Cheese Frosting 4/5 (25 Votes)
- Mississippi Mud Cake with... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- German Chocolate Cake Frosting 4/5 (10 Votes)
- German Chocolate Ooey-Gooey Butter... 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Cake - German Chocolate Poke Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)