Floridian Citrus Creme Caramel
Courtesy of Chef Julie Petrakis of the Ravenous Pig in Winter Park, Florida.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- VANILLA CREAM:
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided (1/4 cup / 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- Pinch salt
- CITRUS COMPOTE:
- 2 cups honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 grapefruit, seeded and cut into segments
- 2 oranges, seeded and cut into segments
- 1 blood orange, seeded and cut into segments
- 1 lemon, seeded and cut into segments
Adapted from homemadebyyou.co.uk
1. Mix together sugar, water, and lemon juice in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Brush sides of pot with a little water to prevent the sugar from crystallizing on sides.
2. Cover and cook on low heat until syrup turns golden brown. Remove from heat, and divide hot caramel among 8 ramekins. Set aside and let cool for at least 2 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Stir together egg yolks and egg with half of sugar in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
3. Stir together vanilla, cream, milk, salt, and remaining sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring to just below a boil and remove from heat.
4. Gently whisk 2 TBS of hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Slowly whisk in remaining hot milk mixture 1/3 at a time.
5. Place the 8 ramekins (with caramel) in a baking dish, and pour 4 ounces of vanilla cream into each ramekin. Carefully pour boiling water into the baking dish until water is 2/3 of the way up the sides of the ramekins. Cover with aluminum foil pierced in several places to vent.
6. Bake 35 minutes, or until custard is set. Remove from oven, and use tongs to remove ramekins from hot water. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
7. To serve, dip ramekin in very hot water for 15-20 seconds, and run a sharp knife around sides. Invert custard onto serving plate. Pour 1/2 cup Citrus Compote over each custard.
1. Bring honey, water, vanilla, salt, and lemon juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
2. Place fruit in bowl, and pour syrup over fruit. Stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 8 servings. Each serving = 22 Weight Watchers points.