Irish Lamb & Turnip Stew
Nothing beats a warm and comforting bowl of good Irish Stew. Finishing off this simple stew with parsley and mint adds a nice lightness to this otherwise hearty dish. Serve with your favorite crusty bread and enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the roux
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 2 small yellow onions, quartered
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 3 small turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 pound medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 fingerling potatoes (3/4 pound)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Chopped parsley and mint, for garnish
- Crusty bread, for serving
Cooking time 180mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the 3 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Working in 3 batches, cook the lamb over moderate heat until browned all over, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to a large plate. Add the onions to the casserole and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes; transfer to the plate.
Remove the casserole from the heat and add enough oil to make 6 tablespoons of fat. Whisk in the flour, then return the casserole to the heat. Add the wine and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, scraping the bottom of the casserole. Stir in 4 cups of water along with the stock and whisk until smooth and simmering, then add the lamb and onion mixture and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the lamb is tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Add the turnips, carrots and potatoes to the casserole and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream; season with salt and pepper. Ladle the stew into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley and mint. Serve with crusty bread.
You'll also love
- Crab and Horseradish Dip 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom &... 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Veggie Pizza with Arugula Pesto 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Pork and Slaw Sandwiches 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Palócleves (Lamb Soup With Sour... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Emeril's Best Beef Pressure-Cooker... 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Turnip Cauliflower Mash 4.7/5 (6 Votes)