Waffled Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage, removed from casings
- 2 scallions, whites and greens sliced separately
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 8 rounds store-bought biscuit dough
- Special equipment: a waffle iron
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add the scallion whites, garlic, allspice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; stir for 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir until toasted, about 1 minute. Pour in the milk and chicken broth and simmer, stirring, until thick, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the scallion greens and parsley. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high heat. Place 1 biscuit round into each section of your waffle iron, close gently (don't push down) and cook until golden and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining biscuits.
Place 2 biscuits on each plate and top with the sausage gravy.