Baking pasta with cheese on top creates a chewy and crispy topping kids will love. You can assemble the dish ahead and refrigerate it, then bake it right before dinner.
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic, minced
- Coarse salt
- Ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme or oregano
- 1 can(s) (28-ounce) whole tomatoes
- 1 can(s) (28-ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 2 pound(s) store-bought ravioli
- 1 1/2 cup(s) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 25mins
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add thyme and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, breaking up tomatoes with spoon, until sauce is thickened and reduced to about 5 1/2 cups, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook ravioli in a large pot of boiling salted water just until they float to the top (pasta will continue to cook in oven). Drain pasta; return to pot.
Toss sauce with pasta. Pour pasta into a large gratin dish or 9-by-13-inch baking dish, and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.