Wine-Braised Beef Brisket
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (3 lb.) beef brisket
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 165mins
Adapted from allrecipes.com
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Mix thyme, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and rub mixture over both sides of brisket.
2. Straddle a roasting pan across 2 burners, then heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Brown brisket on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer brisket to a plate (do not clean roasting pan).
3. Cook onion in hot roasting pan, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, tomato sauce and wine.
4. Put brisket back in pan along with any juices accumulated on plate, and cover pan with foil. Put brisket in oven and cook 1 hour. Remove foil and baste brisket with pan juices. Put foil back over pan and roast until very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours more.