Chocolate Mousse - Dairy Free
The chocolate taste was amazing, and the contrast of the salt amped up the sweet of the bittersweet chocolate.
- 4 ounces 71% cacao dark chocolate
- 3 ounces water
- Pinch salt
- 1 to 2 ice cube trays worth of ice
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Coarse sea salt, optional
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from theclothesmakethegirl.com
Place a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Break the chocolate into large chunks and place in the pan with the water and a pinch of salt. Stir with a whisk to melt the chocolate into the water. It should look like old fashioned chocolate syrup: smooth, slightly shiny, and liquidy. Turn off the heat.
Dump the ice cubes into a large bowl and add about 1 cup of cold water. Place a slightly smaller bowl inside the large bowl and scrape the hot chocolate sauce into the top bowl. Grab a wire whisk and whisk that stuff like your life depends on it. The ice bath underneath cools the chocolate, and the whisking action incorporates air that create the fluffy, mousse-like texture. It took me about 3 to 4 minutes to get to the desired consistency. At first, it seemed like it would never happen. My arm may have gotten very tired. But I kept going — and you will, too! If your mousse suddenly cools and thickens too quickly, you can re-melt it and start over. So forgiving! (See the original recipe for troubleshooting, but I had no problems.) Spoon the mousse into serving dishes and refrigerate if you’re not going to eat it immediately.
If you’re making whipped cream, remove your bowl and beater from the freezer. Spoon half the thickened, chilled coconut milk into the mixing bowl and save the rest for a curry. Add the extract to the bowl, then beat the coconut milk for 5 or so minutes until it takes on the texture of whipped cream. Dollop on top of the mousse, then sprinkle the top of the dessert with a pinch of coarse sea salt. Serve.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (902 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (406 Votes)
- Christmas Pecan Balls 4.6/5 (311 Votes)
- Chocolate Mousse Pie with Phyllo... 4.8/5 (14 Votes)
- Creamy Fruit Mousse 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Pumpkin Mousse 4.7/5 (18 Votes)