Quinoa Crusted Eggplant Parmesan Bites
fat 9.6 gms
- 1 large eggplant (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 eggs, beaten or flax egg (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 6 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup Quinoa Flour
- 3/4 cup Quinoa Flakes
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 3 ounces shredded mozzarella or Daiya shreds
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmesan, grated or vegan Parmesan
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 100mins
Adapted from cookingquinoa.net
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with olive oil.
2. Cut eggplant into ½ inch slices. Place slices in a paper towel lined colander and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 to 40 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
3. Place egg and milk in a small bowl and whisk together. Combine quinoa flour, quinoa flakes, quinoa, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, sea salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until a powder is formed. (It will look like fine bread crumbs.)
Dredge eggplant in quinoa mixture (only a little will stick) and then dip in the egg mixture and recoat with the quinoa. Place on prepared baking sheet and spray will olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes. Carefully turn and bake for 15 minutes more.
4. Remove from oven. Spoon pasta sauce on each slice and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake for 10 minutes longer, until cheese is lightly browned. Serve warm.