Made-From-Scratch Chicken Pot Pie
From All Recipes Magazine
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 (9-inch) unbaked pie crusts (can use prepared, refrigerated pie crusts)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 190mins
1. Preheat oven to 425 dF.
2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside. Keep cooking liquid and use it to supplement the chicken broth in STEP 3.
3. In the same saucepan, over medium heat, cook onion in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Put 1 prepared pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate and spoon chicken mixture into it. Pour hot broth mixture over filling. Cover with remaining crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in top to allow steam to escape.
*Can make 5-inch mini pies. Roll out 1 crust into a 13-inch round, then cut into quarters, fitting each quarter into a 5-inch mini pie plate or ramekin. Divide filling among the mini pie plates, top with broth mixture. Roll out remaining crust into a 12-inch round, and cut out four 6-inch circles for top crusts, trimming edges.
5. Bake pie on a baking sheet for 30-35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 553 cal; 32g fat (12.1g sat fat); 24.9g protein; 40.8g carb; 4.4g fiber; 969mg sodium; 75mg chol