Autumn-Spiced Apple Pancakes
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- Wet Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 cups buttermilk (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Other Ingredients:
- 1 cup tart apples, grated
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Unsalted butter for griddle
Pre-heat griddle to 350 degrees F, or a skillet to medium.
Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Whisk wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix only until combined. Do not overmix. Fold in apples and pecans. Let batter sit for up to 30 minutes.
Pour a small amount (about 1 tablespoons) of butter on griddle or pan and immediately wipe with a paper towel to distribute evenly over the surface and to remove most of the butter.
Use a 2 ounce (1/4 cup) ladle, ice-cream scoop, or measuring cup to pour each pancake onto the griddle surface. Use a spatula to turn pancakes once bubbles start to form all over the pancakes and the edges start to set. Cook on other side for another minute or so, just until set and slightly browned.
Serve pancakes with maple syrup and garnish with fresh berries and/or sliced apples.