PUTTANESCA with TOFU STEAKS and/or MUNG BEAN FETTUCCINE
per half-cup serving of puttanesca: 59 calories . 13g carbs . 2g fat . 3g protein . 2g fiber . 5g sugar
with 5 oz tofu: 276 calories . 18g carbs . 13g fat . 26g protein . 4g fiber . 5g sugar
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 14 ounces of canned peeled whole tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons red miso paste
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/3 cup (40g-ish) of pitted mixed olives, halved
- 2 diced peppadew peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 20 oz extra firm tofu – 5oz per/serving (my new favorite is Wildwood Sprouted Tofu – it’s drier to begin with so it cooks way better)
- optional: pasta (I used Explore Asia pastas whenever I feel the urge for pasta)
Adapted from quicheaweek.wordpress.com
Slice your tofu into 8 even slabs. Dry them thoroughly with paper towels. Set them aside to dry more. If you’re going to make some pasta, start boiling the water now.
In a large frying pan or wok, heat up some cooking spray over medium heat. Toss in the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Add in the canned tomatoes (with juices), miso paste, capers, olives, peppers, red pepper flakes, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir it all around some to mix in the miso and then let it simmer while your make the tofu or cook your pasta or either.
Salt and pepper your slabs of tofu. Heat up cooking spray in a small frying pan over medium heat. Put a couple tofu slabs down and let them sizzle in the pan, untouched, for a few minutes. Lightly mist the slabs with a tiny bit more cooking spray and flip them over. Cook another couple of minutes. When both sides are golden brown, you done, girl.
At this point, either top your tofu with a half cup of the puttanesca orrrr toss it all with some pasta. Top with some basil and maybe some more capers and olives. Eat!