Pan-Roasted Corn and Tomato Salad
- 1/4 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 ears corn, stripped of their kernels (2 to 3 cups)
- Juice of 1 lime, or more to taste
- 2 cups cored and chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 2 fresh small chilies, like Thai, seeded and minced
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, more or less
Adapted from cookingchanneltv.com
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it begins to render fat; add onion and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes, then add corn. Continue cooking, stirring or shaking pan occasionally, until corn begins to brown a bit, about 5 more minutes; remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Drain fat if you wish.
Put lime juice in a large bowl and add bacon-corn mixture; then toss with remaining ingredients. Taste, adjust the seasoning and serve warm or at room temperature.