- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus
- extra for drizzling
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1 pound lentils - (abt 1 1/4 cups)
- 11 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs - (to 6)
- 2/3 cup dried elbow pasta
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Add the lentils and mix to coat. Add the broth and stir. Add the thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the pasta. Simmer until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Texas Trash Warm Bean Dip 4.5/5 (184 Votes)
- Minestrone Soup 4.4/5 (148 Votes)
- Tuscan White Bean Salad with... 4.4/5 (128 Votes)