Tofu Coconut Curry
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 14 ounce package extra-firm tofu; rinsed, blotted dry and sliced into small rectangles
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons sliced garlic (about 6 large cloves)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 small carrots cut on an angle 1/4-inch thick
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup well-stirred canned coconut milk
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked basmati rice, hot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. In a large skillet fitted with a lid, heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium-low heat. Add the tofu and cook, turning once, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. In the same skillet, add the remaining 2 tbsp. oil and increase the heat to medium. Stir in the ginger, garlic and curry powder; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until the ginger is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened and browned, about 8 minutes.
3. Stir in the carrots, tomatoes and their juices, coconut milk and broth. Bring to a simmer. Return the tofu slices to the pan, then spoon the sauce over the top. Cover and simmer until the carrots are fork-tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Uncover and cook to reduce the liquid if necessary, 3 minutes more.
4. To serve, fluff the rice with a fork and divide among plates. Spoon the curry over the rice and top with the cilantro, if using.