yang chow slippery shrimp
- 1 pound large shrimp
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons water
- 2 cups oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (ok to sub red pepper flakes)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine or dry Sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 green onions, sliced
Peel, devein, and BUTTERLFY the shrimp.
Mix the shrimp with 1/4 cup cornstarch to completely coat the shrimp.
Combine the remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 2 teaspoons water in a bowl and set aside.
Pour the oil into a wok and heat over medium heat until hot. Add the shrimp and deep fry until golden about 45 seconds.
Drain the oil from wok, leaving 1 tablespoon. Reheat the wok and stir-fry the garlic, ginger, and red pepper. Stir for a few seconds, then add the ketchup, vinegar, wine, sugar, salt, 1/4 cup water, and the reserved cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir until the sauce is thick.
Add the shrimp, toss until covered with sauce. Add the green onions and serve.