Penne With Mushroom Puttanesca
- 1 package penne pasta - (12 oz) uncooked
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms quartered (or a mixture of mushrooms)
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms quartered
- 1 can Italian stewed tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz) coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted calamata or ripe black olives
- 6 anchovy filets coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped drained capers
- 1 teaspoon salt
In a large saucepan cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over high heat, heat olive oil until hot. Add onion, garlic and red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms; reduce heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes; reduce heat to medium; simmer uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
Stir in olives, anchovies, capers and salt; add reserved drained pasta. Simmer until pasta absorbs some of the sauce, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 servings.