- 24 slices firm-textured white bread
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots or onions
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 dash freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Dairy sour cream (optional)
- Snipped chives (optional)
Making Bread Cups: Cut a 2 1/2-inch round from each slice of bread. Carefully press each round into a lightly greased muffin cup. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or until golden.
Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium saucepan cook shallots or onions in hot margarine or butter for 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; cook, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour. Add whipping cream all at once. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in chives, parsley, lemon juice, salt, red pepper, and black pepper.
Place bread crumbs in a shallow baking pan; spoon filing into shells. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. If desired, top with sour cream and chives.
This recipe yields 24 appetizers.