Italian Sausage Soup
"A hearty winter favorite."
- 1 pound Italian sausage--Hot/Sweet--browned
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth--or 3 or 4--low sodium
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes/crushed
- 1 cup sliced carrots/celery
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, undrained
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 2 cups spinach - packed, rinsed and torn
- 1 onion--browned with meat
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt(optional)--basil & oregano
- 1/2-1 C cooked pasta/potatoes
- Grated cheese to garnish
- Double this
In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown sausage with garlic. Stir in broth, tomatoes and carrots, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
Stir in beans with liquid and zucchini. Cover, and simmer another 15 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
Remove from heat, and add spinach. Replace lid allowing the heat from the soup to cook the spinach leaves. Soup is ready to serve after 5 minutes.
1) used three sweet sausages and two hot ones (which I first cooked in my George Foreman Grille)
2) used 2 cloves of garlic, used 2 more cups of broth*(chicken),
3) used two cans of stewed tomatoes,
4) used 1 pkg of frozen spinach -- not fresh
5) added 1/2 cup of raw orzo noodles,
6) added 1 cubed potato, 7)added 1 chopped onion, 8) did not use the 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
*NOTE: for the extra broth I make my own by using Herb-Ox Granulated VERY LOW SODIUM - only 5 grams of sodium per teaspoon compared to ca. 800 grams in the regular kind - 26 servings per jar.