Quinoa Cakes with Spinach and Goat Cheese
These would be great as appetizers – I’m thinking that some kind of yogurt-y dip, maybe with some chili would make a nice accompaniment.
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
- olive oil for frying
Adapted from thebarefootkitchen.com
1. Wash and chop the spinach, pat dry. Mince the garlic. Heat 1 tablespoon
of olive oil in a small skillet. Cook the garlic until lightly browned, about a minute, then add the spinach. Cover, and cook until wilted. Set aside and let cool.
2. In a small saucepan, mix the quinoa and the goat cheese over low heat (to help melt the cheese). Remove from heat when well combined.
3. Chop the cooked spinach finely, mix with the quinoa and goat cheese. Beat the egg and mix in until everything is combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Heat a layer of olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Form the quinoa into 2″ patties about 1/2 inch thick. Drop into the oil and cook until well browned on one side, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, then set on paper towels to drain.