Chicken and Rice with Mushrooms
Cooking time may vary depending on type of rice used. Adjust accordingly.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 chopped onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
1. Combine 2 cups boiling water and porcini mushrooms; let stand for 20 minutes. Drain through a sieve over a bowl, reserving soaking liquid. Finely chop mushrooms.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with paprika, salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until chicken is browned, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from pan.
3. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in reserved porcini liquid, chopped porcini, and rice; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes. Stir in the reserved chicken, peas, and thyme. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is done.