- OPTIONAL SPICES:
- 12-lbs apples
- 3 c sugar
- 4 T lemon juice
- 4 t cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice add in step 4
Peel, core and quarter apples and treat to prevent browning with 1/4c lemon juice and 4c water.
1. Prepare canner, jars, and lids.
2. In large saucepan combine apples with just enough water to prevent sticking. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil,gently stirring occasionally for 5-20 minutes until apples are tender. Remove from heat and cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
3. Working in batches, transfer apples to a food mill or food processor and puree until smooth.
4. Return apples to saucepan. Add sugar and other spices if desired and lemon juice; bring to a boil over medium-high heat stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Maintain a gentle boil over low heat while filling jars.
5. Ladle hot applesauce into jars leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary by adding more hot applesauce. Wipe rims, center lid on jar and screw band down until resistance is met then increase to fingertip-tight.
6. Process jars in water bath canner for 20 minutes. Remove jars from water and wait 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.