Whole Poached Salmon With Creamy Ravigote Sauce
- CREAMY RAVIGOTE:
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 cup sliced leeks
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 5 parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups dry white wine
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 whole line-caught Alaskan salmon - (4 to 5 lbs) scaled, gutted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 2 tablespoons capers drained, and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup freshly-ground white pepper
In a large fish poacher, combine the water, onions, leeks, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the wine and return to a simmer. Add the salmon and cook gently for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the poaching liquid.
Lift the salmon out of the poaching liquid and place on a platter. Peel back the skin and remove. Plate with fresh herbs and Creamy Ravigote.
For the Creamy Ravigote: Combine the mustard, egg yolk, and whole egg in the bowl of a food processor, and process on high speed. With the machine running, add the oil in a thin stream, until the mixture thickens. Transfer to a bowl. Using a spoon, force the egg through a coarse sieve into the bowl. Fold in the remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.