Cold Cucumber Soup
- 6 pounds cucumbers - (abt 6 cucumbers) peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped (12 cups)
- 2 yellow bell peppers stem and seeds
- removed, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers minced
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh dill
- 3 garlic cloves - (to 4) mashed with
- 1 teaspoon salt to a paste
- 2 teaspoons Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups plain yogurt
- 3 cups sour cream divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Combine the cucumbers, bell peppers, green onions, jalapeños, cilantro, mint, dill, garlic, Essence, salt, cayenne, yogurt, 2 cups sour cream, olive oil, and white wine vinegar in a large bowl. Working in batches, puree the ingredients in a blender until very smooth.
Transfer the soup to the refrigerator until well chilled, at least 2 hours. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve the soup, with each bowl garnished with a dollop of the remaining sour cream and some of the minced chives.
This recipe yields 2 1/2 quarts; 8 to 10 servings.