Crawfish Etouffee II
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 cups fish or shrimp stock
- 1 cup diced peeled seeded tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds crawfish tails, with the fat
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Cooked white rice for serving
In a large, heavy saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and whisk in flour to combine well. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until roux is a peanut butter color.
Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme and cook until vegetables are soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, salt, red pepper, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.
Skim surface, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add crawfish tails and fat, lemon juice, green onions, and parsley and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter and stir to combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve over hot rice.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (469 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Blackened Grilled Tilapia 4.5/5 (143 Votes)
- Grilled Fish Tacos 4.5/5 (128 Votes)