Oprah's Corn Chowder
- Light vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 c shopped onion (1 medium)
- 6 c fresh corn kernels (12 ears), including corn milk collected as the kernels are removed from the cob
- 3 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 t fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
- Cayenne Pepper, to taste
- 1 T fresh basil, chopped
Preheat large, heavy saucepan over medium heat for 1 minute. Spray it twice with oil. Sauté onion for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add 4 cups of the corns and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until it softens a bit. Add 2 cups of the chicken stock and cook until the corn can be mashed easily with a fork, about 20 minutes.
Transfer soup into a blender, or use a stick blender, to puree until mostly smooth. Return to saucepan over medium-low heat, Add bell pepper, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper and remaining corn and chicken stock. Cook for 10 minutes, until the chowder is thick and creamy.
Garnish with chopped basil