- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups thinly-sliced onions
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 pound goat cheese crumbled
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry - (15" by 10") defrosted
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the onions start to wilt, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
In a mixing bowl, combine the onions and cheese. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
With a 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut 24 rounds of the puff pastry. Place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet, prick each round randomly with the tines of a fork, and brush with the beaten egg. Spread a tablespoon of the onion mixture on each round, leaving a 1/8-inch border.
Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve warm.
This recipe yields 24 tarts.