Wild Mushrooms and Beef Stew Soup
"This is a traditional Russian soup that is served as a meal by itself. Vodka is usually served with it. Garnish with fresh lemon slices and sour cream." — Karen
The only recommendation I have is to rehydrate the mushrooms and let the sand settle. Also, you may want to double the recipe and freeze some for future meals. I make it with all kinds of cooked meat in the traditional Russian fashion, in Russia Solianka is the "clean out your fridge" soup.
- Original recipe makes 6 servings
- 2 ounces dried mushrooms
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 cup cooked diced veal
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1/4 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 dill pickles, diced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 12 marinated mushrooms
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
Preparation time 25mins
1.Soak mushrooms in 3/4 cup water until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Set aside.
2.Melt half the butter and saute the onions, meats, and rehydrated mushrooms. Add the stock and liquid from the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Make a bouquet garni by tying the bay leaves and peppercorns tightly in cheesecloth. Lower the heat and add the bouquet garni, pickles, capers, and marinated mushrooms. Simmer 10-15 minutes.
3.Melt remaining butter in a skillet and cook the tomatoes and tomato paste for a few minutes, then add the flour and saute for another few minutes. Add a cup of the soup to the skillet and stir in well, then return pan ingredients to the soup pot.
4.Add the olives, dill, marjoram, garlic, pickle juice, and paprika. Adjust soup's seasoning with salt and pepper; simmer another 10-15 minutes.
5.Remove pot from heat and remove bouquet garni. Adjust seasonings and serve with sour cream and lemon.
You'll also love
- Cauliflower Latkes with Za'atar... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Sweet and Sour Fish 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Sun-Dried Tomato Jam 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Oven Roasted Buffalo Chicken Wings 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Italian Sausage Stuffing 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- #KIphotocontest - Carne Guisada... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Hearty Beef and Mushroom Stew 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Frittata with Mushrooms, Linguine,... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)