Liver & Onions Irish Lassie's Style
I'm not a fan of liver but a friend persuaded me to try this dish and boy was I glad I did, it's delicious! Serve with mashed potatoes or sliced tomatoes and corn.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, or more if needed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 large sweet onions (such as Vidalia®), thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green bell pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red bell pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 pound calf's liver, skinned, deveined, and sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon red wine
Preparation time 20mins
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and mushrooms; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Push onion mixture to the side of the skillet, and place the butter in the center of the skillet.
Add calf's liver, one slice at a time. Cover and cook until lightly browned, flipping liver slices once, 5 to 6 minutes. Cut liver slices in half.
Whisk together flour, water, and beef bouillon in a bowl until combined. Pour mixture into the skillet; cook and stir until gravy thickens, then add red wine. Cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve.