Chicken Taco Salad
You can layer the ingredients for a pretty presentation or simply toss it all together, either way this easy chicken taco salad recipe is a winner! Just make sure to add the chips last after tossing to keep them from getting soggy.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable Oil
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 6 cups spinach, shredded, or 1 head green leaf lettuce, shredded or torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Tortilla chips, crushed
- SALAD DRESSING OPTION 1:
- Ranch salad dressing
- SALAD DRESSING HEALTHIER OPTION 2:
- Greek yogurt mixed with the taco seasoning and chopped cilantro
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from juliasalbum.com
Season the chicken breasts with taco seasoning on both sides. Heat the skillet on medium-high heat, add oil, then sear chicken about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and keep the skillet covered to allow chicken to continue cooking off heat until no longer pink in the middle. Cool the breasts then slice them into small cubes
Layer all salad ingredients (spinach, tomatoes, green onions, red onion, red bell pepper, grated sharp cheddar cheese, and crushed tortilla chips) and cubed chicken in a large salad bowl or on a large serving platter. Drizzle with the desired amount of Ranch dressing and serve.
Or, instead of layering the salad ingredients, just toss them all together, without any layering, with the desired amount of Ranch dressing and serve the salad already tossed and mixed. In this case, add crushed tortilla chips only after you tossed and mixed all other salad ingredients, to make sure tortilla chips don't get soggy.