Classic Taco Salad
Flour tortillas quickly baked in cupcake tins are filled with lettuce and ground beef, then topped with your favorite fixings... cheese, tomatoes or whatever you have on hand. Enjoy!
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat or plain flour tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 ounces lean ground beef or uncooked ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (1-ounce)
- 1/4 cup green or red sweet pepper, chopped (optional)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from bhg.com
For tortilla bowls, wrap tortillas in foil. Warm in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Coat four 10-ounce custard cups with nonstick cooking spray. Carefully press 1 tortilla into each cup. Bake in the 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool; remove from custard cups.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook beef, onion, and garlic until beef is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat.
Stir tomato sauce, vinegar, cumin, and crushed red pepper into skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Place tortillas on 4 serving plates. Line tortillas with lettuce. Spoon beef mixture into tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese, sweet pepper, if desired, and tomatoes.