Cran-Apple Pies in Jars
Little pies topped with lemony sugar-cookie crusts
- 3 lbs. apples, such as Ganyy Smith, Gala or Fiji. Peeled, cored,
- quartered, thinly sliced, 8 cups
- 2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1 2/3 cups + 2 tsp. sugar
- 3 TBSP. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Half of 16.5 oz. tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 90mins
Preheat oven to 350'F. Coat 8 (8 oz.) canning jars with cooking spray. Line jellyroll pan with foil. In bowl, mix apples, cranberries.
1 2/3 cups sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and 1 tsp. zest. Divide among jars.
In bowl, stir flour and remaining 1 tsp. zest into cookie dough until blended. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4" thickness. Using knife, cut dough into 1/2"-wide strips. Lay flour strips, criss-crossing in lattice pattern, across top of each jar. Trim to fit inside of jar. Re-roll scraps as necessay.
Brush dough with egg; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Place on jellyroll pan. Bake 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. Cool on pan on rack. To give as gifts, top with jar lids.