Applejack Chicken Quasadilla
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1/4 onion, sliced as thin as possible
- 1 granny smith apple, coursely chopped
- 1/2 a 6-oz. bag of spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella or monteray jack
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- optional: diced chicken, light sour cream, and maybe a little guacamole? mmm!
1. Caramelize your onions. This is usually done with tons of butter and sugar, but Katie suggested using olive oil, and I found it worked well (and we all know olive oil is better for your heart.) Throw onions, oil and sugar into a pan and stir ‘em up. The caramelization process takes at least 10 minutes and requires pretty frequent stirring, but you can leave ‘em long enough to chop up your apple and wash your spinach.
2. When the onions have started to become translucent and the first sticky brown edges that characterize caramelization are beginning to form, throw your apples into the pan “just long enough to get them acquainted
3. Set the apple-onion mixture aside and let the spinach have a turn. When it’s wilted, add it to the apple and onion mixture.
4. Lay your quesadilla in the pan, sprinkle one half with cheese, add the veggie mix and fold the top over. Fry each side to your preferred melty crispness.