Honey Bourbon Barbecue Chicken Breasts
- RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- 6 natural chicken breast halves, bone in, skin on
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the next 7 ingredients. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook slowly for 20 minutes; until the sauce thickens. Stir in bourbon.
Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill.
Mix salt and pepper together. Sprinkle over chicken breasts and under the skin. Grill chicken about 10 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Reserve 1 cup of barbecue sauce. Brush chicken lightly with remaining sauce and cook for 2 minutes longer.
Place chicken on a platter and cover loosely with foil until ready to serve