Butter-Basted Halibut Steaks with Capers
BONAPPETIT January 2014
- 2 14-16 oz. bone-in halibut steaks (1"-1 1/4" thick)
- Kosher salt, coarsely ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 3 Tbsp. drained capers
Season halibut with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat until golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Turn and cook until other side of fish is golden brown, about 4 minutes longer.
Add butter, thyme sprigs, and garlic to pan and cook, tilting pan and spooning butter over fish, until halibut is opaque throughout and butter is brown, about 2 minutes. Add capers; toss in butter to warm through.
Divide halibut among plates and spoon butter sauce over.
* Also Try it with: Arctic char, monkfish, or salmon steaks
Get the pan smoking hot so the fish won't stick. Let it get a good sear on the first side, which will also help it release.