Potato Crusted Meat Loaf
- POTATO TOPPING:
- Meat Loaf with Potato Crust Recipe
- 8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours30 75 105 Ingredients
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the seasonings. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in green onions and thyme. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
Whisk in eggs; stir in bread crumbs. Crumble beef and veal over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Mash potatoes with the broth, oil, pepper and reserved cooking liquid.
Using a large star tip, pipe mashed potatoes onto meat loaf. Bake 45 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.