- 6 red bell peppers, quartered, seeds and stems discarded
- 6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black peeper
- 1 lb. large white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup packed Italian parsley leaves
- One tbsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves stripped from stems
- 1 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 LB Italian sausage sliced (removed from casings)
- 1 lb. Penne or other tubular pasta shape
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid
- Graded Parmigiano-Reggiano, to taste.
1. Heat oven to 450°. Cut pepper quarters into 1/2 thick diagonal pieces. Place in 12 X 9 baking dish. Drizzle with 3 tbsp. of olive oil, salt, pepper and bake until peppers are charred on edges and tender, stirring occasionally, 30-40 min. Remove from oven.
2. Finely chop parsley, oregano, thyme, and garlic together & set aside. Heat 3 tbsp. of oil in large non-stick skillet. Add mushrooms, cook, stirring, over medium high heat until mushrooms are tender and golden brown. Add chopped her and garlic moisture, sauté stirring 2 minutes. Sprinkle salt, pepper transfer to side dish. Wipe out skillet.
3. Place sausage into skillet cook stirring over medium high heat, until sausage is browned. Drain. Place in baking dish with roasted peppers; add mushroom mixture and sausage. Cover with foil. Keep warm.
4. Boil penne. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid and drain.
5. In large deep platter combine pasta, red pepper, mushroom and sausage mixture. Stir. Add pasta cooking liquid, sprinkle with cheese and serve.