Sausage Jambalaya (Very Good)
By Mary Jane
- 2 tbsp olive oil, as needed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 3 smoked sausages, sliced
- 2 to 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning, to taste
- Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1-1/4 cup basmati rice, rinsed well in warm water
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups chicken stock
- Handful chopped fresh parsley
- Hot sauce, for serving
Adapted from cbc.ca
Heat Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium high heat.
Add olive oil. When olive oil is hot, add onions, celery, peppers and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are soft and golden, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add sausages, thyme, bay leaves, Jerk seasoning, and salt and pepper.
Stir to combine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add rice. Let toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock.
Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork. Stir in parsley. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.