Chocoflan (Mexican chocolate flan cake)
- If your making your own cajeta:
- 1/2 cup Mexican caramel sauce (cajeta)
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package Cream Cheese, cubed, softened
- 7 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup thawed Cool Whip whipped topping or fresh whipped topping
- Quick Cajeta
- Place a can of condensed milk in a large pot of water, and allow it to simmer just below the boiling point for at least one hour. Allow it to cool in the pot.
- Open the can and pour the liquid into a bowl or wide-mouthed jar. Add 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and stir well. Use as you would use the traditional cajeta.
Adapted from allrecipes.com
1.Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2.Pour caramel sauce into 12-cup fluted tube pan sprayed with cooking spray. Blend evaporated milk, cream cheese, 4 eggs, vanilla and sugar in blender until smooth.
3.Beat cake mix, water, oil and remaining eggs with mixer until blended. Add sour cream; mix well. Pour over caramel in tube pan; gently ladle flan mixture over cake batter. Cover pan with foil sprayed with cooking spray, sprayed-side down. Place in larger pan. Add enough water to larger pan to come halfway up side of tube pan.
4.Bake 1-1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Refrigerate 2 hours. Loosen dessert from side of pan; invert onto plate. Remove pan. Serve dessert topped with COOL WHIP.