Healthier Pasta Bolognese
You can help yourself to a very large, generous portion without any fear of going overboard on calories and fat.
- 6 ounces whole wheat tagliatelle
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound 95 percent lean ground beef
- 1 large bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 16 ounce container diced tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated provolone, to top the pasta (optional)
Adapted from thescrumptiouspumpkin.com
1.Boil a large pot of water. Salt the water and add the tagliatelle. Cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
2.Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until outsides begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and onion and cook about 2 minutes more. Add the bell peppers and mushrooms and cook until peppers are softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the tomato paste, honey, thyme, and oregano and stir to combine. Add the diced tomatoes and allow the mixture to cook and simmer, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the cooked tagliatelle and stir to combine. Transfer to serving plates, grate a bit of provolone over the top of the pasta (optional), and serve.