MARYLAND CRAB CAKES
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I like Hellman’s Real)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I like Maille brand)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery (you’ll need one stalk)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound lump crab meat*
- 1/2 cup panko (I like the Whole Foods 365 brand for this recipe)
- Canola oil
Adapted from facebook.com
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Combine the egg, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, Old Bay, salt, celery, and parsley in a large bowl and mix well. Add the crab meat (be sure to check the meat for any hard and sharp cartilage) and panko; gently fold mixture together until just combined, being careful not to shred the crab meat. Shape into 6 crab cakes (about ½ cup each) and place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat a large nonstick pan to medium heat and coat with canola oil. When oil is hot, place crab cakes in pan and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side. Be careful as oil may splatter. Serve immediately with tartar sauce or a squeeze of lemon.
Quick Tartar Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
1½ tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon minced red onion
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.