- 1 ½ pounds sweet Italian sausage links
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 28-oz. can tomatoes
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 t. salt
- ¼ t. ground red pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp
- ½ cup frozen peas
About 1 ½ hours before serving:
1. In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, heat sausages and ¼ cup water to boiling. Cover skillet and cook sausages 5 minutes. Remove cover; continue cooking until sausages are browned, about 20 minutes, turning frequently and pricking sausages to release fat. With slotted spoon, remove sausages to paper towels to drain. Cut sausages into 1-inch chunks; place in 4-quart casserole.
2. Preheat oven to 375. In drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat, cook celery, onion, and green pepper until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, remove vegetables to casserole with sausage.
3. Add tomatoes with their liquid, rice, salt, ground red pepper, and 2 cups water to casserole. Cover and bake 35 minutes, stirring often.
4. Meanwhile, shell and devein shrmp. After rice has baked 35 minutes, tuck some shrimp into rice mixture and arrange peas and some shrimp on top of casserole. Cover; continue baking 10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink, rice is tender, and all liquid is absorbed.