- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut (see note)
Adapted from nytimes.com
1. In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine condensed milk, coconut milk, butter, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup shredded coconut. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and whisk constantly until fudgy, 8 to 10 minutes. When mixture is ready, it will pull together into one soft piece, leaving browned residue on bottom of pan.
2. Slide mixture into a bowl. (Don’t scrape the pan; leave any residue behind.) Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until very firm, at least 4 hours.
3. Scoop out teaspoonfuls of the mixture and use your hands to roll into balls, about 3/4-inch in diameter. Set aside on a baking sheet.
4. Place remaining 1 cup coconut in a wide bowl. Roll 4 to 6 brigadeiros at a time through coconut, covering surface completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, or refrigerate for up to 1 month. Serve at room temperature.
Note: Sweetened flaked coconut will be too sweet. If desired for flavor, toast coconut beforehand on a baking sheet in a 350-degree oven, stirring every 2 minutes.