Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Pesto Penne
I think this would be especially great with some grilled chicken mixed in as well!
- 3 cloves garlic--many have said to use less garlic--try 2 smaller cloves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts--these can be left out
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup roasted red bell pepper (fresh or jarred)
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
Adapted from annies-eats.com
Place garlic and pine nuts in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add Parmesan, red pepper, basil leaves, salt and pepper. Pulse until well combined. With the motor running, add olive oil through the feed tube and process until incorporated. Set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Add the pesto to the pasta and stir to combine. Stir in heavy cream if desired for a creamier sauce. Heat until warmed through. Serve immediately.