Plum And Walnut Crisp With Ginger Ice Cream
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter cut 1/2" pieces
- ICE CREAM:
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 1/2 pounds plums pitted, quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Topping: Mix first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until small moist clumps form. Cover and refrigerate 20 minutes. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
Microwave ice cream in 5-second intervals just until slightly softened. Mix ice cream and ginger in medium bowl to blend. Cover and freeze. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep frozen.)
For Fruit: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss plums, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla in bowl. Let stand until sugar dissolves, tossing occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Transfer plum mixture to 11- by 7-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle topping over. Bake until topping is dark golden brown and fruit is bubbling, about 40 minutes. Transfer crisp to rack and cool slightly, about 30 minutes.
Scoop warm crisp into shallow bowls. Top each with scoop of ice cream.
This recipe yields 6 servings.