Banana-pecan sweet rolls
- 4-3/4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast
and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter
to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until
moistened. Add the bananas, egg and vanilla; beat
until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form
a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and
elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl,
turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a
warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
3.Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured
surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 16-in.
x 6-in. rectangle. Brush with butter to within 1/2 in.
of edges. Combine the pecans, sugar and allspice;
sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side;
pinch seam to seal. Cut each into 16 slices. Place cut
side up on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise
in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
5. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden
brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine
icing ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Serve warm.